The Office of National Statistics have published the latest key findings about families in the UK. This link takes you to a page which expands on each of these aspects.
- In 2014 there were 18.6 million families in the UK. Of these, 12.5 million were married couple families. This is the most common family type in the UK.
- Cohabiting couple families grew by 29.7% between 2004 and 2014. This is the fastest growing type of family in the UK.
- In 2014 there were 2.0 million lone parents with dependent children in the UK. Women accounted for 91% of lone parents with dependent children.
- There were 26.7 million households in the UK in 2014. 28% of these contained only one person.
- Households containing two or more families were the fastest growing household type in the decade to 2014, increasing by 56% to 313,000 households.
Get all the tables for this publication in the data section of the publication .