An important change to marriage law

Clergy please note this especially …

With effect from 2 March 2015, any foreign national from a country outside the European Economic Area will no longer be able to marry in a Church of England ceremony after banns or a bishop’s common licence. Instead, the couple must apply either for a superintendent registrar’s certificate from the civil registrar, or, where they have no qualifying connection with the parish and in other special cases, for a special licence from the Archbishop’s Faculty Office. A guidance note from Church House is attached and also available on the website. Marriages pursuant to applications for common licences made before 2 March 2015 are unaffected. If you have any questions about the change, please refer to the Diocesan Registrar James Hall, 01473 406270.